Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Earth Shakes and the Seas Rise

Some of the most devastating and moving images I've found of the earthquake in Chile so far. There are more here, from the Boston Globe.










Luckily, my family is alright. During my teen years I lived with my aunts and uncles in CaƱete, a small town of about 16,000 people, one hour south of Concepcion, the epicenter of this past weekend's earthquake. Looking at pictures of the destruction that rocked such a vast region of the country, it's scary to be able to recognize locations, building and bridges.
Concepcion is one of the cities where I spent alot of time as a teenager visiting. My family and I would go there on weekends because it was the closest real city nearby. The closest movie theater was there, the closest mall and department stores where there. It was where most of my classmates and cousins went to the university and later settled when out of school.
Always drawn to the road less traveled, opted to move to Temuco, in the south, which was farther away. Concepcion was just a little too close.
Now after the quake, Concepcion has been rocked by looting and violence. It will take time to pick up the pieces.

No comments: