Friday, January 7, 2011

Page Turners

Having all this time on my hands has reconnected me with my inner bookworm and I must recommend two books I've been reading that have been quite hard to put down.



The first is a graphic novel, which has garnered alot of attention and later became a movie,
Persopolis by Marjane Satrapi. A memoir in graphic novel form, it tells the story of the author growing up in Tehran during the Islamic Revolution. Funny, dry and poignant it's about how a young girl can survive a war while also surviving adolescence and growing up during a time of political upheaval in a world torn apart.


Shantaram, by Gregory David Roberts, is the story of an Australian bank robber and crack addict who escapes prison and flees to India. The novel follows his life transforming experiences in the slums and in Mumbai. Largely fictional, the story is based on the author's real life experiences as the protagonist.
This book I've been reading off and on because it's a bit longer and the intensity of some of the chapters (revolving around inprisonment and torture). With not much to go, it's definitely become one of my all time favorites. The author writes elegantly and really transports you to India and into his character which is ultimately seeking redemption. I'm a sucker for stories about redemption and lost souls trying to find themselves(Lost!).

No comments: