Saturday, December 18, 2010

Cazuela Para Todos

I'm often asked what a traditional chilean meal consists of. I have to think about this for a bit. Most dishes are heavy on the potatoes and meat. I think that the most distinctive for me at least is the Cazuela. The cazuela is kind of like a stew. The typical cazuela in one dish contains: a piece of meat (beef, chicken or rib), potatoes, pumpkin, and the stock from boiling this all together. You can also add rice, green beans, celery, sliced carrots, garlic and a big piece of sweetcorn all cooked in the same stock. Garnished at the end with chopped up cilantro to your liking. Makes for a rather hearty dish. Kinda the equivalent to chicken soup in that it's recommended if you have a cold or feeling down. My favorite, the cazuela de pollo:

No comments: